...never been done like this before
Sunrise Youth Group is a charitable organization that has provided high quality recreational and life skills programming to individuals diagnosed with developmental disabilities since 1991. We strive to develop inclusive programming that creates positive experiences for all who access it- whether it be our members, their families, or our volunteers. Sunrise is a positive outlet for leadership and creativity, and encourages everyone to explore their potential!
The individuals who join in to become friends with our members are truly what sets Sunrise apart from all other organizations and certainly what makes Sunrise such a truly enjoyable experience! Volunteers fuel SYG programs with their energy, enthusiasm and new ideas, and are encouraged to take as much responsibility as they would like. What is especially unique is that there is no special experience required. If you are sincere, fun loving, accepting and reliable, then you have what it takes to be a Sunrise Volunteer! To sign up, simply call (905) 438-9910. There is no minimum attendance requirement. Just call and let us know what you are ready and able to do. It’s that easy!
- Charitable organization, founded in 1991
- Dedicated to offering quality recreational and social experiences without physical, social, or financial barriers
- Provides quality Recreational Programs with the support of staff and volunteers
- Maintains a 4 to 1 ratio of individuals diagnosed with developmental disabilities and staff in the Day Program
- Strongly relies on self-sufficient fundraising events and the support of community partners
- Receives financial support from Lake Ridge Community Supports to assist with Day Program staffing and our Virtual Day Program
Check out what Sunrise means to some of our volunteers...
To foster friendships, promote independence, acceptance and integration of individuals with developmental disabilities in Durham Region.
To provide programs for individuals with disabilities and support for their families that are positive and inclusive through recreational, social and learning experiences.
Sunrise was BACK at our beloved Camp Wabikon this year! Such an amazing week filled with friendship and fun!
Our Day Program supports adults with disabilities when they graduate high school to maintain/develop life skills and develop friendships.
Our Recreation Program offers evening/weekend events such as Bowling, Dinner and Movie Nights and Dances.
Virtual Day Program offers two programs a day following a similar structure to in person Day Program.